Booth, Mitchel & Strange LLP has experience in all facets of commercial litigation, representing both individuals and business entities in the roles of both plaintiffs and defendants. We have represented businesses in actions based on bailment and transportation contracts and brought under various consumer protection statutes including the Unfair Competition Law, The Consumer Legal Remedies Act, Song-Beverly Consumer Warranty Act, The Customer Records Law and the Business and Professions Code. Our work includes representation of retailers charged with criminal violations of the pricing and weights and measures provisions of the Business and Professions Code.
Examples of the commercial and consumer litigation we have handled are:
- Assisting a national retailer in resolving an action for injunctive relief and damages brought on by plaintiff as a private attorney general relating to the client's warranty and return policies in a way that avoided the need for the client to amend language used nationally on its sales receipts;
- Successfully representing a large insurance company sued for anti trust tying arrangements, obtaining summary judgement in the trial court which was upheld by the court of appeal with substantial sanctions awarded against the plaintiff;
- Obtaining a preliminary injunction for an importer of high quality dolls preventing a competitor from importing a competing product;
- Recovering the face amount of a dishonored irrevocable letter of credit from a major financial institution;
- Successfully defending a credit reporting company in a competitor's suit for misappropriation of trade secret customer information and other trade secret and proprietary information;
- Representing a large aftermarket truck parts retailer in litigation alleging “Lemon Law” violations;
- Obtaining more than two million dollars for a homeowners association to remedy construction defect in the development;
- Assisting a frozen out minority shareholder of a family owned business obtain a fair price from the majority owners;
- Collecting large advertising accounts for a major southern California media conglomerate.